Senior Coupons – SFMNP
Virginia Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program
If you have any questions call 1-800-820-2646 (toll-free)
You may pick up your application in person at one or more of the vendors at Direct Sales Building – SWVA Farmers Market when they are released to us from the USDA!
District Three Governmental Cooperative is pleased to offer the SFMNP to our service area senior citizens. Beginning in mid April you can apply for this program by requesting, completing and returning your application to:
District Three Governmental Cooperative
4453 Lee Highway
Marion, VA 24354
This is a program sponsored by the U. S. Department of Agriculture, Virginia Division for the Aging and Rehabilitative Services, District Three Governmental Cooperative and local governments.
Eligible participants are given eight – $5.00 coupons (totaling $40.00) to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs grown by local certified farmers. This also helps support local farmers and farmers markets. Lost or stolen coupons will not be replaced.
Please look for a “CERTIFIED VENDOR” poster displayed at Farmers Markets & Stands and be sure to check with the vendor to determine if your coupons can be used there.
Important Information Regarding SFMNP Coupons:
- No state or local taxes are charged on purchases made with these coupons.
- The coupons must be signed on the front (like a regular check) by the participant they have been issued to. Senior participants do not endorse on the back.
- Coupons must be used in increments of $5.00 and no change will be given back to the participant. While you may use 1, 2 or more coupons during a single market visit, the way to s-t-r-e-t-c-h your coupon is to:
- Stay as close to spending in $5.00 increments ($5, $10, $15) as possible during a single market (or vendor) visit.
- If your purchases total a small amount over a $5.00 increment ($5.25 or $11.75 for example), you may choose to pay the 25 cents or $1.75 out-of-pocket to save the additional $5 coupon for another visit.
To Be Eligible:
- You must be 60 years of age or older on the date you apply.
- You must be a resident of VA city of Galax or Bristol, or county of Bland, Carroll, Grayson, Smyth, Washington and Wythe; or one of the major towns of Abingdon, Marion, and Wytheville.
- You must meet the program income requirements by certifying a monthly income of no more than $1459 for a one person household or no more than $1966 for a two person household. Additional family size must be no more than 150% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- You cannot live in the same household, or be an immediate family member, of the farmer who grows the produce.
- You must submit a completed 2014 application. (You must apply each year.)
COUPONS ARE MAILED TO THE ADDRESS ON THE APPLICATION.
The coupons will be mailed out sometime in July.
What Can’t I Purchase?
- Any produce that is not locally grown by the certified farmer and such items as (oranges, bananas, etc.)
- Any processed foods (honey, maple syrup, cider, nuts, etc.)
- Any meats or pastries
If you have problems downloading the application you can pick up an application form from our local Senior Center or any DTGC field office or you may request an application by calling 276-783-2598 (Marion area) or 1-866-820-2646 (toll free).
Only legible and complete applicants are accepted and processed by date and order received. There are a limited number of SFMNP Coupon Books!
Participation is limited and is on a first-come first-served basis.
CALL 1-800-820-2646 (toll-free) FOR MORE INFORMATION
Applicants are notified by mail (at the address on the application) whether they have been approved or denied.