Virginia Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP)
Virginia’s Farm Market Fresh program helps eligible seniors get fresh, tasty, and nutritious locally-grown fruit, vegetables, and cut herbs. The program also supports local farmers and farmers’ markets in Virginia.
This is a program sponsored by the US Department of Agriculture, Virginia Division of the Aging and Rehabilitative Services, District Three Governmental Cooperative and local governments. Eligible participants are given eight – $5.00 coupons (totaling $40.00) to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs grown by local certified farmers. This also helps support local farmers and farmers markets. Lost or stolen coupons will not be replaced. Please look for a “CERTIFIED VENDOR” poster displayed at farmers markets and stands and be sure to check with the vendor to determine if your coupons can be used there.
The benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables of all kinds are infinite. As plant food consumption goes up, the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer goes down.
Strawberries are actually members of the rose family. They are the only fruits to have their seeds on the outside and one strawberry can have as many as 200. Use a favorite recipe to turn these treats into a frozen smoothie, shake, or add to your favorite salad.
No state or local taxes are charged on purchases made with these coupons. The coupons must be signed on the front by the participant they have been issued to. Coupons must be used in increments of $5.00 and no change will be given back to the participant. While you may use one (1) or two (2) or more coupons during a single market visit, the way to s-t-r-e-t-c-h your coupon is to stay as close to spending in $5.00 increments as possible during a single market or vendor visit.
You may pick up your application in person at one or more of the vendors at Direct Sales Building – SWVA Farmers Market and mail to:
District Three Senior Services
4453 Lee Highway
Marion, VA 24354
If you live in Bland, Carroll, Grayson, Smyth, Washington, or Wythe counties, or the cities of Bristol or Galax you may call the below numbers for questions, information, or the dedicated line to do your application over the phone:
1-800-541-0933 or 276-783-8157
Dedicated line applications: 1-866-820-2646
Download the 2018 Senior Coupons Application HERE
Important Information Regarding SFMNP Coupons:
- If your application is approved, you will receive $40.00 worth of checks per eligible senior for this growing season.
- Each check is worth $5.00 and may be used to purchase fresh, locally-grown fruit, vegetables, and cut herbs from participating certified retail farmers market vendors.
- Certified retail farmers market vendors will accept checks for fresh, locally grown fruit and vegetables in-season, depending on the produce items available.
To Be Eligible:
If all of the statements shown below are true, then you may be eligible to participate.
- You are 60 years of age or older.
- You are a resident of a locality that participates in the program.
- You do not live in the same household and you are not an immediate family member of the farmer who grows the produce.
- You meet the program’s income requirements. You must certify your household income.
COUPONS ARE MAILED TO THE ADDRESS ON THE APPLICATION.
The coupons will be mailed out sometime in July.
What Can’t I Purchase?
- Any produce that is not locally grown by the certified farmer and such items as (oranges, bananas, etc.)
- Any processed foods (honey, maple syrup, cider, nuts, etc.)
- Any meats or pastries
Ways To Increase Fruits And Vegetables In Your Diet
- Keep a bowl of fresh fruit handy.
- Try apple slices with peanut butter.
- Add fruit as a topping on ice cream or frozen yogurt.
- Add chopped or mashed fruit or berries to muffins, cake, cookies, and pies.
- Cut raw vegetables (such as carrots, celery, and zucchini) into sticks and store them in the refrigerator.
- Dip your vegetables in a low-fat salad dressing.
- Make soup out of leftover vegetables.
- Add vegetables to casseroles, stews, rich dishes, or spaghetti sauces.
- Wrap vegetables in tortillas.
If you have problems downloading the application you can pick up an application form from our local Senior Center or any DTGC field office or you may request an application by calling 1-800-541-0933-the Marion area.
Only legible and complete applicants are accepted and processed by date and order received. There are a limited number of SFMNP Coupon Books!
Participation is limited and is on a first-come first-served basis.
Applicants are notified by mail (at the address on the application) whether they have been approved or denied.
DTGC is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer
For more information on the SFMNP program, please contact Kelly Wright at 804-662-9319 or firstname.lastname@example.org